I upgraded a couple of servers at work to Fedora Core 2 last week. On the first server, the upgrade worked great, no problems. On the second server, a Compaq DL380, I ran into a weird problem. After the upgrade, the server would lockup after any network activity larger than pings.
So I could ping the server all day, for example, but as soon as I tried to SSH to it, it’d lock up.
After much experimenting the solution, or workaround at least, was to boot to an non SMP kernel. The DL380 is dual processor capable, but this particular one only has one processor installed.
That’s an adequate workaround for now. Hopefully I won’t need to upgrade that box to a second processor anytime soon!